Sunday, July 21, 2024

Shore days

 I stare up at a Parisian landscape, and imagine myself there. Until I make it, I will continue to marvel at the scene and think of the person who it belonged to before me. The worldly woman who danced to her own beat. The one who understood to joy of living. Who was a creature of habit. Who ate a bowl of cottage cheese topped with pineapple. 

Never stop telling stories. They last beyond lifetimes. I look at their possessions, and imagine what brought them a smile. I’ve never met most of these people, but their not merely names. They come alive in my soul. I can imagine my great-grandmother making her son her favorite meal. The aunt who took each moment to wear pearls or her favorite brooch. I can imagine summer days at the shore dancing to Elvis or Sinatra. 

So tell me all the stories. It’s what is remembered. Trust me. I tell my mother each day that these people may be no longer here, but they’re alive in me. 

Alive you’ll 

Always be

Because of 

Your faithfulness

To build

Those I love

Into wonderful

Human beings

5 comments:

  1. You are very creative in thinking of these things. I like the way you make them come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think that telling and sharing stories is how we keep the memories alive of past generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So creative!! how is your project coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about stories -- stories about our families, people, dreams, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete