Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Backroad, watermelon, well water

 I saw a friend say all they needed was ‘A Carolina backroad, watermelon and well water’. It made me smile. I understood the feeling. What he described I felt in my soul. I can’t drive, but I can just picture riding in an old pickup spitting watermelon seeds out the window while the solo cup I carry from home was some water from the well waiting on to guzzle as I swelter in triple digit heat. 

The radio is blasting my eardrums. The warm breezes brush the follicles. The heat brings the sweat on a tank top that’s seen better days. It doesn’t look great. More like a worn dishrag. The memories it holds. The bonfires in the front pasture sitting on square bales. The days picking up sticks. Fishing with a cane pole. Picking muscadines. Not that I knew what they were until South Carolina became the place I first learned would set my world upside down. 

I learned from the old ladies the hard work of picking cotton and frying fatback. I said so many times there wasn’t anything to do in these backwoods, but I was young and dumb. Now I treasure my privacy and quiet. If nobody knew my name. I’d survive. When the world tells you that what you offer has no value, you don’t worry. 

The thoughts of others no longer resonate. Look above. The world will tell what you want to hear until it decides your old news. Eventually we all become old news. So I will revel in the backroad, watermelon and well water. The land again delivers. The earth teaches enjoyment because one day you return to where you start. 

So Lord, I’m here again. It starts and ends with you. Always has. Always will. I forget it all too often. And in the most simplistic moments you take the time. The time to remind me what will matter. And what never does. 

17 comments:

  1. Reveling in the back roads -- I love that. Stay safe with Debby coming close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow well said! I cherish those things that bring my thoughts closer to God and all he has given me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reflection here says it all, Regine. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I remember watermelon when it had seeds, it seemed sweeter! An Amish friend of mine always said that on a hot summer day, that the water was colder on the north side of the well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At 80+ "back in the Day" holds much meaning for me. "Those were the days" but are but memories cherished and ever alive. Thank you for the flashback.

    Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muitas vezes certas estradas secundárias, tornam-se em estradas principais.
    .
    Saudações poéticas e amigas.
    .
    Poema: “ FELICIDADE EMOLDURADA “
    .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I love this imagery! I can just see it and feel it in my innermost child. Thank you for this wonderful post today. It refreshed my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooh i miss those watermelon seeds, spitting them out was so much fun!! back in the day when things were just a tad simpler and oh so easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was beautiful. Sure took me back to simpler times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is another wonderful work that pulls me right in. Thank you for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tienes toda la razón. Dio es es nuestro principio y final. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen to your last paragraph!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such sweet words you have written. I didn't realize it got that hot there. I know what you mean about the back roads and water melon and quiet and just being in the moment. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete