Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Forty observations continued

 9.  After a tearful therapy session yesterday, I have some things to think on. I’ve had unrealistic expectations of self. I can’t meet them. It does make me less of a person. It makes me a real one. A person who needs to let some fears go. I can’t expect perfection, even if I know it doesn’t exist. 

10. I’m brutally honest with self and not others. That needs to change. I’m downright disrespectful to self. How can I demand love from others when I treat myself like pond scum. Kindness is to be directed at the women whose sad countenance I too often see in the mirror. 

11. I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished. I often focus on what I’ve not done, that I don’t take the time to acknowledge my achievements. I am proud that I show up here every day, and leave it all here for the world to see. I a beautiful yet flawed being on a journey to acceptance from self whether or not I ever receive it from the world. 

12. I defy expectations every day. It’s time I take time to appreciate how far I’ve come. Let me say intellectually and medically, I wasn’t supposed to graduate college or by thirty I’d be in a wheelchair. At almost forty, I use a cane, but I walk. The college degree is framed on the wall. I look at it every so often. I’ve walked across Italy and Canada. I’m seeing a world many like me don’t have access to it. I’m grateful. Blessed is not a strong enough word for the access I’ve had, that is denied to so many. 

13. Life may not be fair, but it can still be good. It’s been better than I could explain. I have a lot of issues, but if I were to make a pros and cons list, the pros would take it in a landslide. Find the good. Actively seek it. Please. Take it from me, your mental health may depend on it. I wish I were kidding. 

16 comments:

  1. Well said.

    Have a fabulous day, Regine. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you that life may not be fair, but it can still be good. Let us seek those moments and hold on to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding the good in life and loving yourself is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you good health. Stay strong
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/07/hydration-is-vital-for-good-health.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a lot of valuable insight and wisdom in your observations my friend <3 Kindness should start with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you on kindness to self, which is usually absent here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such powerful observations! Thanks for the reminder to look at all the good that has happened. You are such a bright light in this world!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a walking miracle, Regine! You beat the odds and on top of that you achieved your college degree! Whatever life may take from you, it can never take away your accomplishment of a degree or your faith in God. As Mother Teresa said, "God does not require that we be successful only that we be faithful." Stay strong and positive! :)

    http://lizzyslatest.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great observations Regine - Yes, so often we reject, and are hard, on ourselves, then expect others to love us as we don't. And well done on defying the doctors predictions and living a very full life
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't be too hard on yourself. You are doing so much and working so hard. All the best to your writing. I hope you will give yourself more of an escape in what you write. Here's to staying positive and knowing you are beautiful everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your "forty observations" is a creative way to express your thoughts as you turn 40. I am enjoying reading them all.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete