Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Nantucket dreams

 Yesterday marked one year since my trip to Nantucket. It’s one of my favorites I’ve ever taken. The ferry rides, ocean breezes, and lobster rolls. I’m taking myself back. I realize most of my domestic vacations take place in New England. It’s the place my heart is set free. It’s ironic as I start physical therapy today, I push on so that I can continue to travel. Travel helps me release the burden of who I am. I get to meet new people who don’t know my story. I get to explore. I get to see the places that books have only been described to me. Right now, I’m in the process of digging deep to unearth why it is I have a desire to escape. Escape my reality. Create a new one. Even if it’s only temporary. To be free requires a work I’m only now truly seeking. Eventually the truth is this:  No one can free you, but God working through you to accept facts not facades. 

So as my memories bring me happiness, my present is working so my reality desires acceptance. A reality I can embrace not despise. 

15 comments:

  1. a wonderful memory!! it reminds me of billy joel's song The Downeaster 'Alexa' where he sings about being nantucket bound!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories are a very good thing and me time is even better.

    Have a blessed day and rest of the week, Regine. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nantucket sounds lovely. I hope you can go back there soon. And travel to many other places, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy memories brings smiles to our faces. I visited Nantucket back in the 70s and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good memories help with the future. All the best to striving where you want to be. Stay strong. Thanks so much for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When anyone would ask, my mother was proud to say that she was born in Nantucket. That was in 1928. Her grandparents ran an inn at the time called the Nesbitt Inn; the structure is still there, but it's been modernized and the name has changed. Hope you get to go there again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when you took that trip. Such a good reason to keep pushing on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A deep and honest post Regine - I have also had to do some soul searching these past 24 hours, and it's not an easy walk. May you know the Grace of God bringing you healing as you work through these issues.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a New Englander and I love this area. So you don't need to convince me about loving your trip to Nantucket. I think we all want to escape at times. But I love that you're digging deep to figure out why. Happy end of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Erika, I'm also a New Englander, though I really identify as a Bostonian. You picked a beautiful spot and I hope you can return.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you loved Nantucket -- I did, too (though I only visited for the day and went back to the Vineyard). But the whole area is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful vacation, I hope you have lots of pictures from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Regine,
    No, I'm not doing well. Saw my vascular surgeon today and I weigh only 44 kg... struggle for life!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete