Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Pop ups

 God,

I took rest for granted until it’s the only thing that would fix the problem. Sometimes trying to fit into the box is more harmful than anticipated. I actually attempted to meditate. Lasted five minutes. Letting my breath be the only thing I hear was more challenging. Being still with myself was harder than I thought. I did it. Pumping the brakes is what I need. Not what I’d want. Needs are eclipsing wants these days. It’s a wonder anxiety lifts when we listen to what our bodies are not so silently telling us. 

Eating a slice of thin crust supreme pizza, reading a good book or checking out a good sale is bringing me joy today. Joy isn’t manufactured. It’s created in the moments we don’t realize are special. Fairy tales are nice, but reality is where I reside. It’s in the dog’s whimpers and cries to go explore. It’s in the country song that rattles my cage. Those lyrics are too darn true for my liking. It’s in my two dollar Old Navy flip flops covered in grass stains already. It’s in my twenty year old watch that still tells time. 

So today, I will eat cut up watermelon, spit the seeds and let summer simplicity be my guide. The season of heat isn’t teaching when to strike. When to sit. When to savor. When to relish the taste of a refreshing popsicle after hours in the chlorine. 

Here’s to pop ups, fireworks and independence from our own minds. Mine needs a hiatus. Love the life you live. It’s the one chosen for you to enjoy. 

12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of looking for joy in all the simple parts of your day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pumping the brakes is what I need."

    Rest is vital for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding joy in the little things is such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Regine,
    Indeed, love the life you live and manage to see all the little miracles around you—and enjoy them!!!
    Happy Independence Day to you.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is a joyful journey when we celebrate the simple things along the way. Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The so called little things are huge in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to those little joys in life. May we recognize and appreciate them. Have a safe and marvelous long weekend my friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little things are really what life is made up of, not the huge things that happen rarely. So finding joy in the little things is important!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is in the simplest things where happiness is hidden, enjoy the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finding those little moments of joy each day is so important!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete